<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Dodged the bullet 

I found out this past week that I dodged the bullet... sort of. My former company, Wombatsch, the first place I sought a job after returning from overseas, laid off about 13 people. I haven't worked there for over two years, but it was a like a shot in the gut. It made me thankful that I wasn't hired there. (not like that was at all likely, I see now) I think I'm even more thankful that I didn't stay there, where my former seniority might have saved me from getting the axe. My former position was a nice position with a great salary and excellent union-won benefits. But it seems pretty obvious that, given the development of publishing technology over the past decade, experience in the print trade doesn't carry the value it once did. To try and hang onto the level of compensation I once enjoyed is probably a losing battle. So now I'm working for much less, but at least I'm not sweating it out that my job might be sacrificed to the stockholders. Still, it might be worth my while to figure out if there are other income alternatives available to the family should the next "bullet" have my name on it.

Labels: