<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, September 20, 2007

2-cents 

I went to the Webloggers meetup last night. Another interesting evening, though I felt a bit out of place for some reason. I'm not a tech-head, not much of a writer these days, and I was even unaware that yesterday was Talk Like a Pirate Day. Arrrr. But I do have a blog, so I can at least go and listen to other people talk.

Anyway, that's not what I was going to write about. One of the folks attending, a gent named Sung, was looking to start a blog. But he wants to start off big. He doesn't want to be one of the Blogspot, or Live Journal, or My Space crowds. To paraphrase him, he doesn't have 2-cent ideas, so he wants his own domain that reflects the quality of his thoughts. Of course, contrary lad that I am, the instant he uttered the phrase "2-cent ideas" I adopted that concept as my own. Kind of like when I claimed to be a thought get-out-of-the-way-er. I have no claim to greatness, nor even an ambition to be great. As I've aged and matured, I've encountered great people--well, at least greater than I--and I find that I no longer envy them. It's too much like work.

So how do I justify littering the 'net with my verbiage? Well, I figure that while I'm not great, there is a bit of greatness within us all. We are fearfully and wonderfully made, as the phrase goes. (Assuming I didn't misquote it.) While I and the other plebeians of the web are churning out our 2-cent ideas, we might, in the process, write something that touches someone else. It may cause them to think, cause them to giggle, brighten their day, honk them off, or just comfort them that they don't write as bad as I.

Ick. I just reread that. That be a load of 2-cent philosophy as sure as I'm a lubber.

Labels: , ,