<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, July 28, 2005

The long goodbye 

I got to hug my supervisor today. Not that I had a burning need to hug her or anything. No, it turns out that she has Thursday and Friday off this week, so this was the last day we were working together. So I got a surprise farewell hug.

It's been weird, people have already started to say goodbye. Monday as I started my shift, I ran into one of my coworkers from first shift. She figured she'd say goodbye since we tend not to see each other much. Then, when I logged onto my mail, I found a nice letter from a guy who used to work in my department, but was moved to the other side of the building. It struck me as a bit odd that he'd be mailing me on Monday. But then, left to my own devices, I would probably just put in my hours on Fiday and then quietly slip out the door, so who am I to judge? It's always been a bit surprising to me how differently people leave this place. Guess saying goodbye to a departing co-worker is likewise varied.

Typically, I haven't given much thought to missing the folks here or any other negatives like that. My personality tends to be present focused and I retreat into that when faced with impending unpleasantness. Like when I moved out here, I left Illinois with hardly a glance back, knowing darn well that eventually I'd be mourning the loss. So I suppose in a few months, if not sooner, I'll be longing for the cameraderie of Wombatsch or the simplicity of the old routine. For now, however, it's nose to the grindstone.

Anyway, two more days left. Tomorrow is my exit review, or whatever they call it. Friday is my farewell cake (during work hours) and my farewell beer (after work hours). I'll have to compose my farewell e-mail, complete with a parody of the current corporate template. (Basically a verbose paragraph telling people to delete any accidental mail they get sent. Face it fellas--security and internet are not compatible.)