<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, June 23, 2005

And in the end... 

Day twelve of our Sauerkraut training

It's over. We have received our official Sauerkraut pins and training diplomas. (No decoder rings--maybe that's only for the long termers.) Of course, I haven't turned in my official Sauerkraut contract yet. Like yesterday's panel of experts I didn't find out about the session until it was too late. Serves me right for playing hooky. But I did get all of my reading done and even caught up on my online comics.

As you can imagine, it's one of those bittersweet things. If we weren't going off to China, I would have added a number of names on our Christmas card list. (Oh, that's right, we were going to send out Christmas cards before we left. I've got to remember to get on that when I get time.) In one sense, it's a bizarre time of life to be starting relationships. But then again, is there any
bad time to start a relationship?

Anyway, tomorrow we awaken from our dream. We leave the mountaintop and head down to the valley. I wonder how long it will take the euphoria to crumble. And I wonder if maybe, just maybe, I might be able to smuggle a smidgen of this peace and contentment back into the trenches.