<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, May 12, 2005

I don't know why she swallowed the fly 

Okay, tonight I'll take Sherri's quiz:
Why Blog? Quiz And remember, be honest. This is for posterity...

1) Why do you keep your weblog/blog/online writing thingie: for fun, for fame, for money, for popularity, or for another more obscur reason? What about the weblog gives you what you want?

For fun, of course. The weblog fills my need to write, to have someone read my writings and to get some sort of positive feedback.
Actually, there's an obscure reason, too. One thing that attracted me to reading weblogs was that it was like the people's media. I could read people's stories from all sorts of places and walks of life. And when a blogger happened to be on the spot when something newsworthy happened (like Where is Raed? in Iraq), it added a different perspective on the news of the day. I wanted to add my voice to the cacophany, in the off chance that one day I might have something genuinely useful to say.

2) Imagine that your weblog becomes wildly popular: your hit counter skyrockets, your comments are overflowing, and everyone is emailing you about everything you post. Name 3 positive things that could come of this, and 3negative things.
Bwah-hah-hah-hah-hah. Oh, that's a good one. Okay, let me put my science fiction skills to use:
Three positives would be that my ego would be purring, my Blogshares value would increase, and, um, I might be able to make some money.... no scratch that, I'm pretty much worthless at exploiting my resources for profit. Sorry, can only think of two.
Three negatives would be that I'd have too many comments and e-mails to read, I'd feel more pressure to make time to write, and um, Noodles might start taking my blogging seriously and would start actually reading what I'm putting in here.

3) What's the worst possible result you can imagine (short of being electrocuted or having your computer take over your brain, and who says it hasn't already?) from keeping a weblog?
I might say something stupid that would seriously offend or hurt someone who doesn't deserve to be hurt or offended.

4) What do you do to prevent that worst possible result from happening?
Speak the truth in love and keep the bulk of my criticisms and sarcasms to myself.

5) List 5 reasons that would make you stop keeping your weblog for a period of 6months to a year.
Five? Oh for crying out loud.... Um, extreme overwork, extreme depression, some other personal crisis, my new boss asks me to stop for the duration of our China venture, lack of internet access

6) List 5 reasons that would make you stop forever.
Death, the Second Coming, a debilitating stroke, loss of interest, a significant increase in the cost of blogging.

7) Describe your definition of a "successful weblog".
That which fulfills the blogger's reason for blogging.

8) Is yours successful by your definition?
I write, people read it regularly and leave comments, so yeah, I guess Hamburgerland is successful. There's still room for improvement, of course....

9) What pisses you off most in other weblogs? What pleases you most?
Interesting blogs that have white type on a black background. :-b Seriously, the only thing that comes to mind would be excess graphics that really don't enhance the design or communicate anything. But really, I hate that more in e-mail than in websites.
What pleases? Good content, be it humor, thought provoking writing or pretty pictures.

10) Make a list of 10 weblogs/journal style websites that you wish your weblog/website/writing site was like.
Eh, I think I'll pass on that. I don't want Hamburgerland to necessarily be like any other site, save that I'd like to post something interesting, amusing and/or worthwhile.