<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Another Saturday night and I ain't 

...accomplished anything. Well, not much, anyway. Some mail answered, some deskwork tended to. I would have accomplished more, theoretically, but I had to sit down and watch one of my Christmas presents: a DVD containing Buster Keaton's The Cameraman. Now I had just happened to have borrowed and watched a copy of The Cameraman from the library about a month ago. But my new DVD, that has a commentary track, so I watched the film again, this time while listening to the commentary track featuring one Glenn Mitchell. Never heard of the guy before, but he wrote a book called A-Z of Silent Film Comedy: An Illustrated Companion. Anyway, I think these commentary tracks are going to be the death of me. I have no willpower to resist them. I can't just watch the flurshugginer movie and return the vid. No, I have to watch it again to hear what the director, the actors and/or the historians have to say. Of course, if I listen to more of the less inspired tracks, say like those on A Mighty Wind or the Farscape episode "Crackers Don't Matter", I may be cured of the habit. (Hmm, I wonder if there's a web site that reviews commentary tracks yet.) But I doubt it. There's enough film student left in me to wonder what's going on behind the scenes.