<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

When they were young 

Noodles has said that whenever she comes up with a significant insight into the universe, she can find a book where someone has already investigated the matter and has explained it better than she could. Well, tonight I had a similar experience. Ever since I've discovered census records, I had the idea in the back of my mind to try to look up some famous people. Of course, I never had the time for such frivolity--the only non-relatives I've ever looked up are the folks who owned our house back in 1930. Anyway, I discovered that someone has already done the research for me. While poking around on Cyndi's List, I discovered that one Michael John Neill has created an online collection of Census Images of the Rich and Famous. It was lot's of fun to wander through: To watch Laura Ingalls Wilder grow up, to see Curly Howard of Three Stooges fame as a shipping clerk, to discover that the White House gets its own page in the census. (At least it did in 1930.) Of course, the best part was discovering where Santa Claus hung his hat during the spring months. Check it out.