<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, September 24, 2004

You can do it at a trot... 

If life goes as planned, I'll be spending my Saturday at the Western Washington State Fair, known to Washingtonians as The Puyallup Fair, or to Pierce County residents as The Fair. I don't particularly want to go to the fair, mind you. Every year, after a busy summer, the thought of getting up at the crack of dawn, driving an hour down to Puyallup and then using up a whole day walking around and spending money on overpriced food and entertainments depresses me. But Noodles, and now the girls, really want me to go along, so I do. And I manage to have a bit of fun in the process.

Anyway, I mention this because I noticed something as I was checking on what time the gates open. On the website, there was a blurb about security: "For your security, ALL bags will be checked at the entrance gates. Please leave unnecessary items at home or in your car." I know we need to keep our scones safe from terrorists and all, but this little directive irked me. "Leave unecessary items at home"? What the heck do you call oversized stuffed animals? Or cotton candy? Or folksy arts and crafts? That place is full of unecessary items! And you want to restrict what I bring into the place? Humph! I've half a mind to take along a dreidel, or a harmonica, or something else small and unecessary, just to stand up for my right to be impractical and frivolous.