<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, April 09, 2004

Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? 

Psalm 22

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from helping me, and from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry in the daytime, but you don't answer; And in the night, and am not silent.

But you are holy, O you that inhabits the praises of Israel. Our fathers trusted in you: They trusted, and you delivered them. They cried to you, and were delivered: They trusted in you, and were not put to shame.

But I am a worm, and no man; A reproach of men, and despised of the people. All they that see me laugh me to scorn: They shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying, "Commit yourself unto Yahweh; Let him deliver him: Let him rescue him, seeing he delights in him."

But you are he that took me out of the womb; You made me trust when I was upon my mother's breasts.
I was cast upon you from the womb; You are my God since my mother bore me.

Be not far from me; for trouble is near; For there is none to help. Many bulls have encompassed me; Strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round. They gape upon me with their mouth, As a ravening and a roaring lion.

I am poured out like water, And all my bones are out of joint: My heart is like wax; It is melted within me.
My strength is dried up like a potsherd; And my tongue cleaves to my jaws; And you have brought me into the dust of death. For dogs have encompassed me: A company of evil-doers have inclosed me; They pierced my hands and my feet. I may count all my bones; They look and stare upon me. They part my garments among them, And upon my clothing do they cast lots.

But be not thou far off, O Yahweh: O you my help, hasten to help me. Deliver my soul from the sword, My precious life from the power of the dog. Save me from the lion's mouth; Yea, from the horns of the wild-oxen you have answered me.

I will declare your name to my brothers: In the midst of the assembly will I praise you. You that fear Yahweh, praise him; All you the seed of Jacob, glorify him; And stand in awe of him, all you the seed of Israel. For he has not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; Neither has he hid his face from him; But when he cried unto him, he heard.

Of you comes my praise in the great assembly: I will pay my vows before them that fear him. The meek shall eat and be satisfied; They shall praise Yahweh that seek after him: Let your heart live for ever. All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn unto Yahweh; And all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before you. For the kingdom is Yahweh's; And he is the ruler over the nations. All the fat ones of the earth shall eat and worship: All they that go down to the dust shall bow before him, Even he that cannot keep his soul alive. Posterity shall serve him; It shall be told of the Lord unto the next generation. They shall come and shall declare his righteousness Unto a people that shall be born, that he has done it.

(American Standard Version, with some archaic language updated)
(Hey, I gotta have a religious post on Good Friday...)