<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, March 13, 2004

Workplace Update 

I should report a couple of work updates. Yesterday, it was announced that the company is not moving for a year or so, though our building has been sold. I know no details as this was announced at a company-wide meeting which was held before I got to work. We second shift employees, I guess, don't rate a meeting. (grumble, whine) It was a bit of a disappointment for me, but it is good news for most of my co-workers. I'm certainly not losing anything in the deal.

Then this morning, the union held a meeting regarding our contract. I thought it was supposed to be the final, this is the best we could negotiate, take it or leave it, vote on the contract meeting. But I was wrong--it was just a meeting called by the negotiating committee to see where the rank and file are at so they can return to negotiations on March 22nd. As I reported before, the company wants it all. Preferably, on a silver platter. I was mildly surprised that the rank and file are pretty much in agreement in rejecting any overtime concessions. Most of the folks put in more overtime than I and I guess I had stereotyped them as being money hungry. Instead, they are really just dedicated folks who are willing to do what it takes to get the job done. How much management realizes it, I don't know. The local management undoubtedly knows it. The higher-ups in L.A. and New York probably don't. And I'm sure our customers couldn't care less, as long as they get a price break. Something's wrong here....

Anyway, hearing about some of the contributions the others have made for the cause makes me feel a bit guilty. I'll probably end up putting in more than my usual amout of O.T. because of this meeting. .... Well, for a day or two anyway....